Our Africa business comprises Nigeria, East Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan), Africa Regional Markets (Ghana, Ethiopia, Cameroon and Indian Ocean and southern African countries), South Africa and the African operations of Global Travel. It has some of the longest established and largest markets for Guinness, which we brew in a number of countries, either through subsidiaries or through third parties under licence.
Financial Performance Snapshot 2012
||Improvement from 2011 (%)2
Operational snapshot 2012
- Full time employees 6,4334
- Distilleries 0
- Breweries 14
- Wineries 0
- Packaging and blending sites 3
- Warehouses 0
- Other sites 3
- On 25 May 2011 Diageo announced changes to its regional structure. From 1 July 2011 two autonomous regions, Africa and Latin America and Caribbean, replaced the International region. The Global Travel and duty-free operations are now reported within the five geographical regions in which the external sales take place. The Middle East business has become part of Asia Pacific. As a result of these changes, Diageo now reports the following operating segments externally: North America, Europe, Africa, Latin America and Caribbean, Asia Pacific and Corporate. In addition, for the year ended 30 June 2012, changes were made to the allocation of specific corporate items better reflecting the geographic segments to which they relate. As a consequence of these changes the figures for the operating segments for previous years have been restated.
- Reported movements
- Operating profit before exceptional items
- Segmental split of employees in this report reflects geographical locations, whereas in the 2012 Annual Report employees are disclosed within the segment in which the employee provides the majority of his or her services.